The People's Houses, Halk Evleri, were established on 19 February 1932. The Houses were charged with the duty to build society of advanced and civilized. The People's House of Mardin, which was opened with six branches, continued its activities uninterruptedly with the addition of three more branches in the 1940s. These branches were consisted of Library, Language and Literature, History and Museum, the Arts, Public Classrooms and Courses, Sports, Social aid, Representation and Peasantism. The Language, History and Literature Branch was the most active branch in opening literacy courses and finding students for these courses. The Branch of Language, History and Literature made efforts to increase the education level of the public in cooperation with other institutions and intellectuals existed in the city. Within the framework of this cooperation, up to twenty thousand citizens learned to read and write in and around Mardin until 1939. Approximately 12 literacy courses were opened each year by the People's Houses. While the rate of illiterate people in Mardin was 90% in the first years of the Republic, this rate decreased from 90% to 10% thanks to the courses of the People's Houses. Examined the historical structure of Mardin, it is possible to find many activities of the People's Houses. Assessing the People's Houses in general, this study deals with the effects of the People's Houses on Mardin and its surroundings in accordance with inspection reports of RPP.
The People's House of Mardin, Literacy, Education, RPP.
|Author :||Erhan ALPASLAN|
|Number of pages:||331-352|